This year, we will welcome overflowing ideas from your creative minds and see them transform into a timeless masterpiece.
Memories of the past are important for us to create a more beautiful future. Remnants of structures rebuilt are enough for people to be reminded of its rich history, and create boundless memories in the present. An adaptive reuse is a way of preserving old buildings and creating new meaning out of them; retaining its historic and remarkable features as an advantage to a new purpose it will be serving for the next generation. It is an artistic approach in breathing new life to structures instead of completely demolishing them.
The American colonization in the Philippines from 1898-1946 brought about cultural and structural changes in the country. Americans aimed to improve railroads, and railways, hence, the construction of one of the most iconic structures in Manila, the Paco Railway Station. Paco Railway Station is managed by the Philippine National Railways (PNR). Built originally across Plaza Dilao in 1915, its façade is still intact this time. However, it was partly demolished due to a discontinued mall construction. Up until today, the public and private sectors have continuous efforts in rebuilding and giving new life to the train station.
Now, we encourage you to take our challenge of conservation in an artistic way. There are no limits expanding your creativity—extend, build over or under, use different perspectives; all these are welcome in this year’s competition.
To preserve, always remember: a significant portion of the structure must be retained
ArchiNEXT 2019 will be taking inspiration from the Filipino term “banyuhay” meaning metamorphosis, and transform it into “ANYUHAY”, from “anyo” and “buhay”, which will give significance to the new form of life.
ANYUHAY: An Adaptive Reuse Toward Structural Rebirth.
- Innovativeness: the ability to present contemporary design, to bring about new purpose for utilization, and create a functional space for the next generation
- Character: has to preserve heritage of the old building and bring about new purpose without losing the site’s heritage
- Social Impact: the new structure must bring about positive change in the community and its members
- Eco-friendliness: conservation of resources to be used, and use materials not harmful to the environment
PNR Paco Train Station
Total Lot Area: 7,500 sqm
- The sky’s the limit. ArchiNEXT 2019 is open for any type of facility your clever mind can create. For whatever purpose it may be serving the next generation, we only require retaining the structure’s facade as shown in the photos.
ArchiNEXT 2019 is open to:
- 3rd and 4th year BS Architecture student currently enrolled and a bonafide student in any CHED-accredited and recognized colleges and universities in the Philippines.
- One (1) entry per student
- Maximum of four (4) A3 sized bond paper in a horizontal/ landscape orientation
- 1st-2nd A3 paper: Overall Concept, Location and Vicinity Map, Site Development, Aerial Perspectives
- 2nd-4th A3 paper: Detailed Floor Plans, Section, Elevations, Spot and other pertinent details.
*with dimensions or graphical scale
*kindly label boards from 1-4
*DO NOT PUT ANY IDENTIFICATION ON THE FRONT SIDE OF THE BOARDS
- Full Narrative of the Design Concept printed in a short bond paper.
200-300 words, 1 page only
*DONOT PUT ANY IDENTIFICATION ON THE FRONT SIDE OF PAPER
Submission: BOTH hard copy and softcopy are required
Download ArchiNEXT 2019 Entry Form in www.archinext.ph
- Accomplish form and have it signed by any of the ff:
Attach Endorsement Letter signed by the Dean of the College of Architecture or Chair of the Department of Architecture ONLY
Dean of the College of Architecture
or Chair of the Department of Architecture
or the UAPSA President
B.) Softcopy (in CD; included in the envelope with hardcopies)
Soft copy version must be saved in a CD
Label the CD with name and school
- CD must contain the ff:
- Scanned copy of the entry form
- Scanned copy of the endorsement letter
- Design Entries in .pdf format (high resolution)
or Design Entries in .jpeg format (A3)
- Full Design Concept/ Statement in .doc/ .docx format
*Blank or corrupted CD shall be disqualified
- Envelope must be labelled with name and school. The ff must be inside the envelope:
- Accomplished Entry Form with signature
- Endorsement letter of Dean/Chair
- Design Entries (A3), max of 4 sheets
- Design Concept (printed in short bond paper)
- Scanned School ID (Front & Back)
CD with the soft-copy version
- Identification (name & school) shall only be at the ff:
- BACK of each entry
- BACK of design statement
Envelope & CD
- Send envelope with complete requirements (both hard & soft-copy) through LBC to:
Hocheng Philippines Corporation
Sales Marketing Office
1163 Chino Roces Ave.,
San Antonio Village,
Makati City 1203
*Delivery fee is c/o Hocheng Philippines Corporation (free of charge)
Send entries on or before December 31, 2018
- In participating, the candidate agrees to have their names and/or designs published in a third-party publication or in any other medium without extra fee or charge. Likewise, all entries shall become the property of Hocheng Philippines Corporation.
- Plagiarism of any form shall not be accepted and will be considered disqualified.
- Judges’ decision is final.
- Hocheng Philippines Corporation shall also shoulder the travel cost and accommodation of competition winners residing outside Metro Manila only.
- Ticket and accommodation are not convertible to cash.
- Past Top 3 winners are disqualified from joining the competition.
Aerial videos of Old Paco Railway Station for ArchiNEXT 2019 Competition. See the following links for specified aerial angles taken for your reference.
|Runners-up (7)||Php 10,000|
Special Awards Prize
|Most Innovative||Php 10,000|
|Best Presentation||Php 10,000|
|Most Popular||Php 5,000|
Schools Counter-part prize:
|Winning School||Php 20,000|
|Silver School||Php 15,000|
|Bronze School||Php 10,000|
|Most Participative||Php 5,000|
Criteria for judging
- Innovation – 30%
- Highlights the student’s limitless creativity to probe deeper and go beyond expectations.
- The transformation of the facility must be visible, offering new solutions to existing or undiscovered needs of the community.
- The design concept must be original, creative, and inventive. It shall be a new, highly functional facility with sensible contemporary concept and area arrangement.
- The entrant must have the ability to strategize a design enabling physical change in the facility, incorporating metamorphosis on how the community sees it, too.
- Planning & Design – 30%
- Originality in determining the new function that is contemporary, functional, and useful for the host community of the heritage building.
- Creativity in introducing new architectural elements that cleverly fuses with the preserved iconic architectural features of the original building design.
- Clear understanding of the historical significance of the building, its current urban design context, and its future role in the district that will guide the formulation of the design of a transformative building.
- Design must be visually engaging, effectively executed, and should be sensitive to the sensibilities of its host community.
- Preservation of the remaining facade must be 100%.
- Ecological Friendliness – 30%
- Focuses on sustainable aspect of the overall planning & design which should be self-sufficient and cost effective.
- Materials to be utilized in the facility must be modern, sustainable, and can adapt to technological advancements.
- Presentation – 10%
- Clarity in communicating the process of identifying the design challenges, the analyses, and the formulation of the design solutions.
- Adherence to applicable government laws and guidelines.